Silvia Chocarro Marcesse is Head of Protection of Journalists and Human Rights Defenders at Article 19. She previously worked as a consultant for IFEX and the Center for International Media Assistance (CIMA). From 2013 to 2017 she was the US Correspondent for Radio France Internationale (RFI) – Spanish Service –where she covered the latest US elections. From 2009 to 2013, she worked at UNESCO where she participated in the development of the UN Plan of Action on The Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity. This work was the basis for her PhD dissertation entitled The Promotion of the Safety of Journalists: the Role of the United Nations from 1945 to 2014. After obtaining her PhD in 2016, she has continued to write about journalist safety, for example for the CFOM blog. In a career that has spanned more than 15 years, Silvia has managed media development projects; has worked as a freelance journalist in Spain, Mexico and the Balkans and has been a guest lecturer and a trainer. Silvia is also the editor of Women in the Communication World: Voices and Insights from Women (Icaria Editorial, 2007) and has contributed to nearly a dozen publications.
Latest CFOM Updates
- CFOM launches new research hub for the Study of Hybrid Communication in Peacebuilding! September 14, 2020
- Graffiti as Arts Activism in Peacebuilding September 14, 2020
- The CFOM Hub for the Study of Hybrid Communication in Peacebuilding: our first events! July 24, 2020
- IAMCR 2020: CFOM presents research examining the relationship between the safety of journalists and media and information literacy July 15, 2020
- Research study “Legal systems: friend or foe for the safety of journalists”: advancing the holistic approach and proposing a new tool to explore the role of law in safeguarding journalism July 6, 2020