Sejal Parmar, fellow at the Centre on Freedom of the Media and lecturer at the School of Law at the University of Sheffield, worked as an expert consultant with the United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect to produce the UN Guidance Note on Addressing and Countering COVID-19 related Hate Speech. The publication of the document on 11 May follows the UN Secretary-General’s appeal on 8 May for an ‘all-out effort to end hate speech globally’, which was widely covered by media outlets, including the bbC, The Guardian, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Politico. Parmar was recently appointed to the Council of Europe Committee of Experts on Combating Hate Speech as an independent member.
Latest CFOM Updates
- CFOM is partnering with UNESCO and ICFJ on a global survey mapping online violence against women journalists September 25, 2020
- Freedom of expression and fact-based journalism key to countering the disinformation crisis CFOM researchers conclude in new Broadband Commission / UNESCO research report September 21, 2020
- CFOM launches new research hub for the Study of Hybrid Communication in Peacebuilding! September 14, 2020
- Graffiti as Arts Activism in Peacebuilding September 14, 2020
- The CFOM Hub for the Study of Hybrid Communication in Peacebuilding: our first events! July 24, 2020