Sejal Parmar, fellow at the Centre on Freedom of the Media and lecturer at the School of Law at the University of Sheffield, worked as an expert consultant with the United Nations Office on Genocide Prevention and the Responsibility to Protect to produce the UN Guidance Note on Addressing and Countering COVID-19 related Hate Speech. The publication of the document on 11 May follows the UN Secretary-General’s appeal on 8 May for an ‘all-out effort to end hate speech globally’, which was widely covered by media outlets, including the bbC, The Guardian, The New York Times, The Washington Post, and Politico. Parmar was recently appointed to the Council of Europe Committee of Experts on Combating Hate Speech as an independent member.
Latest CFOM Updates
- The war in Ukraine is also a war for free speech May 13, 2022
- Call for Contributions: Academic Consultation on the UN Action Plan on the Safety of Journalists April 29, 2022
- Message from Mariupol: “Russian journalists, the blood of the dead is on your hands” April 18, 2022
- Upcoming event: The Commonwealth and media freedom: Where do we stand? April 14, 2022
- Political leadership is the only way to reverse the assault on press freedom in Commonwealth countries February 23, 2022