Following presentation of the annual Reports by the UN’s Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Opinion and Expression and the Special Rapporteur on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions, the UN has issued a press release about the Interactive Dialogue with Member States at the UN Human Rights Council’s 20th session in Geneva on June 19 and 20. Both the Special Rapporteurs focused their 2102 Reports on the issue of the Safety of Journalists and made recommendations for more effective measures within States and at international level to counter the growing scale of violent attacks and cases of harassment against journalists worldwide and to end impunity. The report on Freedom of Opinion and Expression can be accessed here and the report on Extrajudicial, Summary or Arbitrary Executions here.
Latest CFOM Updates
- Calling out Kashmir’s media silence December 4, 2020
- The debate on crucial future issues takes place online – is media law ready? December 4, 2020
- ‘Peace on Facebook’ remains elusive, but ‘post-conflict generation’ are being heard on social media December 3, 2020
- New Research: Alarming Evidence of Online Attacks on Women Journalists Leading to ‘Real World’ Violence November 25, 2020
- New landmark report calls on Media Freedom Coalition States to create an emergency visa for journalists at risk November 23, 2020